Re: How to get Ethernet link status?

On 2008-12-16, Jay Foster <jay@systech.com> wrote:

> I've done this by implementing my own function, which calls the
> _eth_phy_state() function from the Generic PHY Package.  Depending on which
> drivers/packages are configured, my function might call the ethernet driver
> specific function (PhyStatus() for example), or the _eth_phy_state()
> function when the Generic PHY Package is configured.

I'm a little confused as to how the generic phy package is
supposed to work.  On my board, access to the PHY is done via
registers in the Ethernet MAC (IOW, access to the PHY is only
available in the Ethernet driver).

> You're right that other than the Generic PHY Package, there is
> no generic way to do this, thus my own function that hides
> this from my application(s).

I guess I'll just have to create a global line status function
in my Ethernet drivers that application code can call.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Look!  A ladder!
                                  at               Maybe it leads to heaven,