Re: linking a program for download to at91sam7x-resident redboot

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 16:14:37 +0100, Chris Zimman <czimman@bloomberg.com> wrote:

Then I wanted to change my little hello-program by linking it in such a
way to go above redboot in the flash. Actually I placed it at
0x00120000 -
far above redboot - by editing the ecos-provided target.ld-file. The
memory-statement in this file now reads like this:

MEMORY
{
     ram : ORIGIN = 0x00200000, LENGTH = 0x20000
     rom : ORIGIN = 0x00120000, LENGTH = 0x80000
}

However, when running the linker, it produces errors and reports
vectors
etc. to be out of rom range. Correct, but I think I do not need these
vectors here. What else do I have to change in the loader file (or
elswhere) to get a linked program to be downloadable to/with redboot
where
it will be launched by a cor. redboot command (or a script later on)?

I'm assuming you're going to relocate this into RAM (eg. you're using FIS,
and the 'load') before running.
If that's the case, you don't need to change the target.ld file. Apologies
in advance if I'm mistaken, but
a little more info on what exactly you're doing would be useful.

--Chris

Hi Chris
well, this little hello-program I want to launch from redboot is just my example to climb the learning curve of how it has to be done. The code-part of the program I ultimately want to launch from redboot is too big to go into RAM. So it has to run from flash. And I need redboot to have a loader on board, so the application can be updated if required. Unfortunately I can not use the bootloader that comes with all AT91SAM7x-based systems, because it (SAM_BA) supports USB and the serial debug-I/F only and both of them are not implemented (not accesible) on the board I am using here - hence (a minimum) redboot was identified as the solution of the problem.

The FIS in my case only has to take a small script that launches my big-ap if UART0 or UART1 does not receive a ctrl-c character during a timeout interval of a few seconds. In such a case it would abort the script and one would be able to use redboot for downloading a program (direct load into flash). Any comments on these ideas?
Regards, Robert