Error trying to exec 'cc1plus'

I installed eCos 3.0 in a fresh directory (/opt/ecos3) under Cygwin, and
installed the arm-eabi tools in the default location. I can run the compiler
under the name gcc, because there is a version under that name in

    /opt/ecos3/gnutools/arm-eabi/arm-eabi/bin

but it complains that it can't find cc1plus.exe. I can also run the compiler
under its explicit name arm-eabi-gcc, which is found in

    /opt/ecos3/gnutools/arm-eabi/bin

and it works fine. The cc1plus executable is contained in

    /opt/ecos3/gnutools/arm-eabi/libexec/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.2

The problem appears to be that the programs search path built into the
compiler includes the string

    ../libexec/gcc/arm-eabi/4.3.2

which works when appended to the arm-eabi-gcc location but not when appended
to the gcc location.

So my question is: why are we given versions of the commands under short
names, if they don't work? Is there some reason the commands with the short
names aren't just put into the same directory as the versions with the full
names?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco