Re: arm-eabi-gdb

grahamlab wrote:

> Chris Zimman wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I have just installed Cygwin and ecos.
>>> I have built the test cases for my ecos configuration.
>>> When I try to invoke the arm-eabi-gdb command from a Cygwin command
>>> window I
>>> get retruned to the command prompt immediately.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know why this happens
>> Graham,
>>
>> There are virtually unlimited reasons that things can be not working.
>> There's no information in your post that would in any way enable anyone to
>> help you any further.
>>
>> I suggest that:
>>
>> (1)  Please stop top posting -- if you don't understand what that is, it's
>> when you reply to a message and put your reply above original message.
>> While
>> I don't personally care either way, top posting is not looked upon well on
>> this list.
>>
>> (2)  Make sure your Cygwin (or whatever you're using) environment is
>> working
>> OK first before you worry about getting GDB to talk to Redboot.  If you
>> are
>> having general Cygwin troubles, there are Cygwin specific mailing lists
>> that
>> assist with such things.  There is also commercial support (Gary and/or
>> eCosCentric), which I have been pointing a lot of people to as of late,
>> since
>> some of the questions that have been coming up are more suited to that
>> level
>> of support.
>>
>> (3)  Don't repost the same question if you don't get an answer
>> immediately.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --Chris
>>
>> --
>> Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
>>

> Chris
>
> I started a new thread as this is a different (although related) topic.
> I have read the eCos documentation and followed the instructions for
> downloading Cygwin and then installing Ecos.
> I can run the Ecos configuration tool and build.
> Cygwin appears to be installed correctly.
> But when I type
> arm-eabi-gdb -help
> nothing happens and I get returned to the command prompt.
> my path is set correctly and arm-eabi-gdb exists
> I am getting very frustrated at this point and would be grateful of any
> information anyone can supply in this regard

Actually, Chris did give you some valuable feedback.  You had
the basic stuff going using VirtualBox, albeit with problems.
Now that you've tried CygWin, you can't even get that far.
Not surprising given all the troubles folks have had with
CygWin over time.

trouble is.  This does work - has for many folks - so you must
just have something setup wrong, most likely the actual serial
connection to your board.

One question - when you originally reported that you could
get the RedBoot prompt in your minicom window and then had
trouble getting code to download via GDB, did you still have
the minicom window open?