Re: Debugger fails when I add kernel support

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 04:40:42PM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 16:01:35 +0200, Sergei Gavrikov
> <sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 02:58:44PM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
>>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 23:39:24 +0200, Sergei Gavrikov
>>> <sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ..<cut>
>>> rule) in
>>> code.
>>> CFLAGS

>>> Sergei, I did it with brutal force: I modified the lines inside
>>> var_arch.h
>>> in directory ecos/packages/hal/arm/at91/var/current/include such that
>>> the
>>> macro
>>> HAL_IDLE_THREAD_ACTION(_counter_) is no longer generated. Then I
>>> created a
>>> new ecos and linked my little project with this new ecos. The results
>>> are
>>> mixed:
>>> a) As before, when switching power on with no JTAG debugger (BDI2000)
>>> connected, the program launches and works fine.
>>>
>>> b) With the JTAG debugger connected, I am no longer in a position to
>>> launch it with the BDI go 0 command (via telnet). No output at all.
>>
>> IMHO, it is a JTAG issue, jtag cannot halt CPU. Usually, they recommend
>> that your early startup has a loop in assembler during a few time to
>> give a chance JTAG halt CPU. A few ms it's enougth. You can put this in
>> your hal_platform_startup.s (before any initialization, it should be
>> just a loop in asm).
>
> ==> The BDI is configured to stop the target when it comes out of reset.
> And that it does wunderfully. I then click the run button and that's were
> the problems start :-(
>>
>>> c) I can set breakpoints in cyg_user_start and the output of the
>>> diag_printf statement in this routine appear - but
>>>    the output of the diag_printf routines in the thread created and
>>> resumed from this reoutine do not appear - although I can catch
>>>    breakpoints in this thread.
>>>
>>> Not a very clear situation. Do you have a good idea? Thanks and regards
>>>    Robert
>>
>> diag_printf() is good for asserts, diagnostic output, etc., i.e. for
>> debugging only. What is a reason to use it inside the threads?
>>
>> every plf. diagnostic "putc" is something like this blocking loop:
>>
>> 	do {
>> 	    // check UART status
>> 	} while (!can_send);
>>

>> It's not good for multi-threads applications. It blocks eCos, so, use
>> printf() inside the threads, interrupt-driven and non-blocking serial
>> I/O. Use a mutex to share printf() between the threads. I do not think
>> that eCos's the floating-points-less printf() is heavy stuff. Robert,
>> that is just my thoughts about your implementation. This is not JTAG
>> related things.
>>

>> Sergei
>
> Hi Sergei
>
> Well, I used to have printf-statements in all my programs. But since
> working with the new arm-eabi toolchain, I found that all my programs
> crash in this printf statement. I reported this in the arm_gnu forum, but
> got no useful answer. :-(
>
> Right now I have kicked out all diag_printf statements in the thread and
> put printf instead - No output in no case.
> Then I changed it to fprintf(... and already the statement
>
> fuser = fopen("/dev/ser1", "w");
>
> comes back with fuser == 0 - even so I enabled ser0 and ser1 - the
> interrupt driven version at91serial - in configtool ...
>
> Something very basic must be wrong in my case. If only I knew what??????
> :-(
>   Robert

I'm sure that is not "arm_gnu" related, something is wrong witch eCos
configuration. Forget about own application. You have to make work two
famous eCos examples for your target: these are `twotreads' and `serial'
(see $ECOS_REPOSITORY/../examples). Twothreads is exactly that what you
need. First, it's hardy help using a `configtool' way. I'm sorry. BUT, I
will try. What's your target's name exactly?  (It seems I missed the
name). As I could understand you use ROM startup and the target has at
the least two serial ports.

$ ecosconfig new <target> default

At least, you have to set the below options to get non-blocking serial
I/O.

cdl_component CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES {
    user_value 1
};

cdl_option CYGOPT_IO_SERIAL_SUPPORT_NONBLOCKING {
    user_value 1
};

Put the above in serial.ecm and import this file then.

$ ecosconfig import serial.ecm

About printf() channel...

$ less -p 'DEFAULT_CONSOLE \{' ecos.ecc

cdl_option CYGDAT_LIBC_STDIO_DEFAULT_CONSOLE sets a device name which
will be used for printf(). Set it properly (edit ecos.ecc).

$ ecosconfig resolve && ecosconfig tree && make -s

cp -a $ECOS_REPOSITORY/../examples .

make -C examples INSTALL_DIR=`pwd`/install twothreads
make -C examples INSTALL_DIR=`pwd`/install serial

There will be your test stuff under examples directory. Make twothreads
works with JTAG.

Note: I do not know about your target, if your default startup RAM, it's
possible you have to import and the below before to build eCos examples

cdl_component CYG_HAL_STARTUP {
    user_value ROM
};

Robert, only if you will manage `twothreads' then you will manage own
application.

Sergei