Re: "Plug-and-play" networking in eCos

Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
I wish to add basic "plug-and-play" networking to an eCos device. It should be a fairly standard task in network-enabled embedded devices. All users would like to hook their stuff to a network and access the UI by typing "mydevice" into a browser.

No replies. Apparently plug-and-play is not hip with eCos developers :)

The ancient NetBIOS protocol specifies how a host auto-assigns a name and resolves name queries into it's own IP. Newer solutions have emerged these days (zeroconf's mDNS) but it is not implemented in older systems (such as WinXP).

FYI: there exists an embeddable SMB server called AzSmb (GPL): http://members.inode.at/anton.zechner/az/AzSmb.en.htm

First impression: lean but functional (does name resolution, authentication and file sharing). Code is nicely structured, readable and commented. A bit of general & API documentation exists.

Currently supported OS is On-Time RTOS-32 (and Linux, and Windows). However, code is simple C++ (no exceptions or STL) and calls to underlying system are all wrapped. It needs only threads, TCP/IP stack, malloc, file system. Porting to eCos might not be difficult.

Maybe this helps people save some effort in future. I'll just try to hack together a minimal NMB name broadcast, because that's all I need (and I don't know enough about eCos to do any serious porting).

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse