Re: where's the printf output?

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 03:42:08PM -0500, Jeffrey Krasky wrote:
>> There is talk about that you need either a real target (in an example
>> that's some abstract ARM evolution board) or the synthetic linux target
>> which can "emulate" the real one on the _linux_ hosts only.
>
> I need to get the words clear. By "real target" you mean something like a
> board with some company's microprocessor on it, such as Atmel? (I mention
> Atmel since a previous post today talks about AT91SAM7X256.) And by

Yep.

> "synthentic target" you mean that I would have a Linux machine set up to
> emulate a board, and then I could eventually take the code from the Linux
> to the board itself?

Look on a Linux synthetic target as on a quasi board which has a couple
RAM, watchdog, wallclock, flash parts, etc. You will be able to run eCos
programs are written for synthetic Linux target on Linux host just as
is. eCos kernel itself is a platform independed core.

> Is my understanding correct?
>
> If so, maybe eCos is not for me? I want to run an app on a Windows XP
> machine and I want to get some sort of RT behavior. Maybe I've had a
> misunderstanding of what eCos is for.
>
> Please comment if possible.

The "e" letter in eCos word stands from Embedded. Read a bit about what
eCos is for here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECos.

Sergei