Re: eCos 3.0 on AT91SAM7X256

Hi Bernhard

Bernhard Gebert wrote:

> * Built RedBoot using ConfigTool
>     - Loaded Template "Atmel AT91SAM7XEK..."
>     - Package "default"
>     - Added Package "RedBoot ROM monitor"
>     - Changed "Build RedBoot ROM binary image = 1"
>  -> RedBoot_ROM.bin has a size of 78 kb

It is preferable to start with the "redboot" package template when
building RedBoot. Take a look at the redboot_ROM.ecm file in the
platform HAL package of a similar target for details of typical
configuration options for building RedBoot for ROM startup. In
particular, you will need:

   CYG_HAL_STARTUP == ROM
   CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR enabled
   CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR disabled

> * Programmed RedBoot_ROM.bin to Flashbank 0 offset 0 using OpenOCD and
> JTagkey
> * Built the eCos lib with Template "Atmel AT91SAM7XEK...", no changes
>    -> "Behave as a ROM monitor = 1" und "Work with a ROM monitor = 0"
> * Built the example "hello" with (extract from makefile)
>     hello: hello.o
>       $(XLD) $(LDFLAGS) $(ECOS_GLOBAL_LDFLAGS) -o hello.elf
>       $(ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX)objcopy -O binary hello.elf hello.bin
>       $(ECOS_COMMAND_PREFIX)size hello.elf
>  -> hello.bin has a size of 46 kb
>
> Now RedBoot is running, I can communicate via UART1.
> My question is: How must I program the example into the flash to allow a
> call from RedBoot or even automatic startup?

If you want to execute your eCos application out of ROM by jumping to it
from RedBoot, I suggest you configure with:

   CYG_HAL_STARTUP == ROM
   CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR disabled
   CYGSEM_HAL_USE_ROM_MONITOR disabled

Your application will then be entirely self-contained.

> Programming it simply somewhere and typing "go 0x..." did not work - as
> expected.

eCos applications are not relocatable. eCos applications built for ROM
startup are typically configured to execute from the start of Flash by
default. You will therefore need to configure
CYGNUM_HAL_ARM_AT91_IMAGE_ADDRESS appropriately before building your
application code.

I hope this helps.

John Dallaway