lwIP upgrade to CVS HEAD

Hi

John reminded my about our endeavor to upgrade the lwIP stack to an up-to-date version. I took a little time to upgrade my port to the CVS HEAD from yesterday. So everything should be cutting edge. There have been a few new configuration options since my last port, which I integrated into the CDL. During the source upgrade I could also recap on the changes that were necessary in the lwIP codebase. Here is a little summary:

* slipif.h/slipif.c: I changed the implementation to support polling. This does not break the current API. I will post a patch to lwIP and see if I can get this committed.
* sys.h: Added an include. I don't know if this really is necessary. Will check with the lwIP mailing list.
* init.c: Removed a check for PPP in NO_SYS mode, which is not valid with my current PPP changes.
* ppp: I did some work on the PPP code, added polling support, added pppdump support. As said earlier, this is currently quite a mess, and I think we should work on the lwIP port first, not focusing on PPP.

Well, that's it. Not many changes at all, and I think with some commits to the lwIP repository we can use the pure lwIP code with no changes at all. Getting PPP right on the other hand, will need some serious work.

So how does my port differ from the current port in eCos. First, I didn't try to be compatible with the previous port. But as the lwIP API itself is probably most important, usage is left mostly the same. I've written the CDL mostly from scratch, added options where I thought it's worth it. There are some options which are not yet configurable in the CDL. Here is a quick list:

* MEM_USE_POOLS, MEM_USE_POOLS_TRY_BIGGER_POOL:
This should not be necessary as we use ecos variable sized memory pools for these allocations.
* MEMP_USE_CUSTOM_POOLS:
Not necessary as ecos provides such infrastructure.
* LWIP_ALLOW_MEM_FREE_FROM_OTHER_CONTEXT:
Not necessary.
* LWIP_NETIF_HOSTNAME, LWIP_NETIF_API, LWIP_NETIF_STATUS_CALLBACK, LWIP_NETIF_LINK_CALLBACK, LWIP_NETIF_HWADDRHINT, LWIP_NETIF_LOOPBACK:
These should probably be implemented, for support of the netif API.
* LWIP_LOOPBACK_MAX_PBUFS:
May be added too.
* LWIP_NETIF_LOOPBACK_MULTITHREADING:
Automatically set in opts.h, depending on NO_SYS.
* TCPIP_MBOX_SIZE:
May be necessary for sequential support, but the message queue length could also be fixed (this will be the case when using eCos message queues).
* DEFAULT_THREAD_NAME, DEFAULT_THREAD_STACKSIZE, DEFAULT_THREAD_PRIO, DEFAULT_RAW_RECVMBOX_SIZE, DEFAULT_UDP_RECVMBOX_SIZE, DEFAULT_TCP_RECVMBOX_SIZE, DEFAULT_ACCEPTMBOX_SIZE:
I don't think they are needed. Creating threads should always provide these settings.
* LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING:
Experimental, shouldn't be used right now.
* RECV_BUFSIZE_DEFAULT:
Just a default value, set to INT_MAX.
* SO_REUSE:
Should not be used.

I think this is more or less complete. Would be great if somebody reviewed my CDL as I'm sure there are some formal mistakes (copy'n'paste). Also your mileage may vary about what should be configurable. People might think the current CDL is too excessive.

As I stated in earlier mails, my current port only supports the "Simple" mode, no netcomm or socket API. I use the stack for GPRS on-demand connections, trying to use as less resources as necessary (very limited target). The goal was to run the complete lwIP stack with PPP as well as the higher level code (HTTP client) in a single thread. For testing on the synthetic target, I have also used the ethernet drivers (USB), again in a single threaded polled environment. There is currently no support for the "Sequential" mode.

I have adapted and cleaned up the eth io code (eth_drv.c). The interface towards the lwIP ecos clue code is:

extern void lwip_eth_drv_set_addr(struct netif *);
Called by the ethernet driver to initialize the network address and bring up the network interface.

extern void lwip_eth_drv_dhcp_init(struct netif *);
Called by the ethernet driver to start DHCP discovery on the network interface.

extern void lwip_eth_drv_dsr(void);
Called by the ethernet driver when a DSR was processed.

extern void lwip_eth_drv_recv(struct netif *, struct pbuf *);
Called by the ethernet driver when a new packet was received.

These functions are currently all implemented in simple.c for the Simple mode. They will have to be implemented again for the Sequential mode.

The current interface for using the Simple mode, is indeed very simple :)

externC void cyg_lwip_simple_init(void);
Initializes the stack.

externC void cyg_lwip_simple_restart(void);
Should be used to restart the stack when it has not been polled for a while (handles timers correctly).

externC void cyg_lwip_simple_poll(void);
Should be called periodically to let the stack do it's work, poll devices etc.

The simple mode could be extended to have an implicit thread, so we would not have to care about calling cyg_lwip_simple_poll(). For me it was important to be able to do other things in the networking thread simultaneously, but this could also be done using a callback for example. What is the preferred way?

In the old port, setting and running PPP and SLIP was done automatically. I currently do this explicitly. And I think for PPP this is the preferred way, as normally more control is needed. We could add implicit SLIP support. SLIP would then be as simple to use as ethernet. What do you think?

I have also done some cleaning up on the sys port (sys_arch.c) which is used in Sequential mode. Nothing is tested yet, but might be helpful for getting up the Sequential mode. I think we should also add a few more testcases, to cover both the Simple and Sequential modes more broadly.

That's about it. Hope to get a bit of feedback on this. I'm willing to put some work into this to clean it up, so we can get it into the eCos repository. I started the port to work for my current project, so I think it's not yet generic enough for inclusion, but I think we can get there.

Currently I host the code on my own git server. This is handy as I can track the official eCos CVS and add my changes in a branch. To access the current code you will have to do:

# Go to a temporary directory
cd /tmp
# Clone the repository
git clone git://git.inthemill.ch/ecos.git ecos
# Change to the "triponsm" branch (my current working branch)
cd ecos
git checkout --track -b triponsm origin/triponsm

Alternatively you can just browse with git-web:
http://git.inthemill.ch/?p=ecos.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/triponsm;hb=refs/heads/triponsm

If we're going to collaborate on this and people want to use something else than git, I can setup an SVN repo or something, or we can move this to the eCos CVS as soon as possible and go from there.

Best regards,
Simon