Re: APB - Copyright assignment

Ãyvind Harboe wrote on 2009-10-06 16:19:
> I think it is great that the eCos CVS repository has all the licensing
> carefully verified. Saves a bunch of work.
>
> However any specific project will almost certainly be a mix of
> non-eCos CVS + eCos CVS stuff.
>
> It makes little sense to me to put *all* code known to be
> compatible with eCos open source license into eCos CVS.

I think you are missing my point.  For any project of course there is no
need to put any part of the code back into anoncvs.

What I am trying to say is that by virtue of the FSF assignments and the
care taken with pulling in code under other licenses into anoncvs, there
is an inherent trust of the licensing and terms under which the code
that is distributed under the "eCos" banner can be used. The name eCos
carries with it a high level of security and goodwill.  Users can trust
that the code distributed under that name has been
authenticated/attributed/etc and that they are free to use as the eCos
licensing etc permits.

However, if you start distributing code for other people to use in their
products with an unknown legal status, you cannot incorporate that code
into an eCos distribution without potentially damaging the trust and
goodwill associated with the FSF assignment etc.  You are misleading
those users as to its legal status. If you are going to make that code
available, it has to be made a separate download that is not associated
with the eCos distribution and, IMHO, as a courtesy you should alert
those users as to its unknown status.

I am not saying at all that Graham etc has any evil intentions etc.  In
fact, probably the opposite.  However, these need to be properly
ratified etc. to become part of a public eCos distribution.

-- Alex Schuilenburg