Re: Re: eCos submodule support

Alex Schuilenburg wrote on 2009-10-20 22:37:
> Sergei Organov wrote:
>
>> Ãyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:
>>

>>> To be a bit more clear:
>>>
>>> My assumption is that there is no appreciable difference
>>> between hg/git for the case when *all* modules are
>>> either git/hg.
>>>
>>> The problem is with heterogeneous projects.
>>>
>>> When working with eCos I've only ever encountered
>>> git, cvs and svn as version controls. CVS very rarely
>>> these days. I'm sure there are eCos relevant projects
>>> that use hg, I just haven't encountered them.
>>>
>>> Managing svn as a submodule in git is easy enough.
>>>
>>> I have never tried to manage hg as a submodule in git.
>>>

>> Probably the best bet is to keep your own git repository of eCos
>> (automatically and incrementally) converted from the official hg one,
>> then use those git repo as a submodule in your project utilizing git.
>>

> Or even better, a local hg repository providing a git interface. That
> way you could locally push changes upstream from the local hg repo
> (since I dont know if git can push to hg) as if it were a git repo, you
> would need upstream shell access to the remote hg repo to pull from your
> local git repo (since hg can pull and push to git).  You could then
> stick to using git locally as mandated by your company, and still
> benefit from proper DRCS flow rather than a one-way downstream only flow.

Just to update on this.

It appears you are able to use git to push/pull to/from a hg repo using
the hg-git plugin, it is just a bit convoluted to set up.

>From the author of hg-git at:
http://github.com/blog/439-hg-git-mercurial-plugin#comment_1933

    "technically, you /can/ use this to use Git to collaborate on Hg
    hosted projects - there are 'gimport' and 'gexport' commands that
    will just do the object translations - but it's a bit more
    convoluted. i'll try to write up a guide on how to do that at some
    point after this is all settled down."

-- Alex Schuilenburg

Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
www.ecoscentric.com