Re: Re: Replacing CVS - decision time

Daniel Néri wrote:
Øyvind Harboe wrote:
Daniel Néri wrote:
Øyvind Harboe wrote:
- I place the apps I work on in a git repository and I want to make eCos a submodule. How do I manage that if the eCos repository is hg?

Maybe one of these could help:

?http://hg-git.github.com/ ?http://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Interfaces,_frontends,_and_tools#Mercurial

0yvind, IMO any team can develop such "submodules" using any kind of RCS (of course, that can be Git too).

It seems for me that you dislike an idea to generate a patch bomb and use a universal merge tools (diff/patch) to deliver stuff in HG then. Does that mean that you would want to convert and push whole module's history (all your bumps) done in Git in HG repo in one step? It seems for me that you would prefer to send some sort of release for official repository (=patch).

Or may be you ask about some kind of a forest the sub repositories /submodules (in eCos terms packages) under/near official repository?

Mercurial (since 1.3 version) has a concept of the nested repositories (elder HG versions had Forest Extension)

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/subrepos http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/ForestExtension

Thus I call that Jonathan in his review said that current Mercurial version on sourceware.org < 1.3.

It seems that using either HG-Git plugin or HG convert extension you can maintain own submodule (sub-repo, sub-directory) like the below (I hope my composer does not break AA)

HG main repo
 `- HG nested repo <-(hg-git|hg convert)-> Git repo (submodule?)

But, this is just one of the ways.

I don't like the idea that I'd have to maintain this myself. Doesn't sound very robust :-)

Well then I guess you'd have to hire someone to do it for you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "official forks", but there are plenty of options for those who can't or don't want to host their own repositories:

?http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/MercurialHosting

What I want is a way for forks of eCos to be organized in a way that they are available to everyone. Does using hg mean that we get this feature?

Yes, it's a DVCS so anyone can create a fork/clone/branch and publish it, e.g. using one of the services on that wiki page.

I agree with Daniel. More that everyone (Thanks Alex) can try it just now using eCosCentric eCos mirror under HG: http://hg-pub.ecoscentric.com/ecos

Everyone can clone this weekly up-to-dated HG repository and maintain own packages on top such a master copy. Certainly, he/she needs to sync with such master repository and maintain own repository by him/herself. Zealots people use free services like github, bitbucket, etc. to host their open source projects (non-official forks or modules).

As Jonathan told us the first step will be s/CVS/DRCS/. That will take some time and efforts on migration itself. But, that will be break-out. Then we will get more clear conception the derivatives, thus I have a doubt about "official" forks/forest. Just now, let's call it clones, branches, forks, forest, etc. I hope eCos community will do it then (Thanks Internet and DVCS :-).

Sergei