Re: Re: Support for Altera Cyclone IV device

Hi Gao,

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2010 02:30 PM, Gao Feng wrote:
>>
>> Hi, there
>>
>> I am Gao, a electrical design engineer in Linear System Ltd. Recently,
>> we are developing a new project, and we try to use eCos as our device
>> operation system. We plan to use Altera cyclone IV device. Is it
>> supported by the eCos system? If it does not, is it possible to give an
>> estimation when the eCos will support the Cyclone IV device? If
>> possible, could we ask for some source about possible early
>> verification. Thanks.

If you want to run eCos on NIOS II, we have done a number of projects,
one using this precise configuration (
http://consulting.zylin.com/turnkey_cmossensor.html ).
The sources for the NIOS II eCos port are available via svn:

svn co http://www.ecosforge.net/ecosforge/trunk/nios2ecos/

> Note: originally sent to ecos-maintainers list. ?This question belongs
> on the main discussion list.
>
> FPGA support in eCos is orthogonal to processor/target choices.
> It would be up to you to develop support for such a device.

If you want to just access the FPGA from the target processor, than
this is very specific to your application and there's not much an OS
can do for you.
The way I use the FPGA is to configure an address space for it and
then use the memory mapped registers via HAL_WRITE_UINT32 and
HAL_READ_UINT32 (for 32 bit registers).

Regards,
Edgar

> --
> Gary Thomas ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? | ?Consulting for the
> MLB Associates ? ? ? ? ? ? ?| ? ?Embedded world

Edgar Grimberg
System Developer
Zylin AS

ZY1000 JTAG Debugger http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html