Re: Ecos booting with u-boot

On 2010-06-21, Rutger Hofman <rutger@cs.vu.nl> wrote:

>> I was really wondering whether it is recommended to use ecos on a
>> system booted with u-boot.
>
> I do it (on a BlackFin-based system), there are no reasons why not
> to.

There are some RedBoot features that eCos apps can take advantage of
using the VVT API.  For example, eCos apps can use RedBoot as a sort
of "BIOS" to handle console I/O for things like the "diag_printf()"
family of calls.  RedBoot can also be configured to contain GDB stubs
that can be then used to debug eCos applications.

There are other ways to do diag I/O and debugging, but RedBoot does
offer some features to eCos applications.

IIRC, you cal also use UBoot in a similar manner, but support for
UBoots application API isn't built-in to eCos they way support for
RedBoot is.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! ... I'm IMAGINING a
                                  at               sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING