Unable to open "/dev/ser0"

Hi,

I'm using ecos on a nios ii core. I have a sopc design that contains a
jtag uart and an avalon uart, while porting a custom debug console to
the platform, it needs to directly talk to the hardware rather than to
the tty, otherwise input such as up/down arrow will be interpreted
differently as intended.

I managed to make it work with the jtag uart by enabling the option
"CYGPKG_IO_SERIAL_DEVICES" and open /dev/ser4. However, while trying to
put the samething on to the uart port, i'm not able to open "/dev/ser0",
cyg_io_lookup shows that there's no such device, but the default printf
does go to the uart and works fine.

Can anyone tell me how to open the uart hardware device from the
application?

Thanks & Regards

--
Jiqing