Re: Is there any good method to debug eCos application in RAM limited board?

On 2010-08-12, Peng Liu <peng.liu6@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have made Redboot up and running in my STM32 Dev board. But
> unfortunately I found it's quite difficult to debug the eCos
> applications on my board.
>
> My Dev boards is based on stm32f103vet6, and there's no external RAM
> in the board, only 2M NOR flash is available.
>
> Because there's only 64KB RAM in the system, I found it's impossible
> to debug my eCos application with Redboot. So I tried to debug
> applications with GDB. I can load the application (smaller than 64KB)
> to RAM, and sometimes can debug it. But most time the GDB session
> would hang...
>
> By the way, OpenJTAG was used in my test.
>
> Does someone have good idea about the debugging?

 1) Debugging using GDB+JTAG shouldn't require any target RAM.

 2) Debugging by adding strategic diag_printf() statements works even
    on small targets.

 3) The best way to debug is to look at the source code and think.

 4) Another good option is to test your module under another OS
    (Linux, Windows, whatever).

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Am I elected yet?
                                  at