Re: On Porting OpenSSL v1.0.0c

Ross Younger wrote:

> John Dallaway <john@dallaway.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have up-to-date information (with reference) on the
>> restrictions for hosting this class of cryptographic source code on a
>> publically-accessible server located in the United States?
>
> The Debian project researched the situation a few years ago - with legal
> assistance - and consequently decided to integrate crypto with their
> main distribution, jump through a few hoops to notify the US government
> about it, and stop maintaining their non-US crypto download site.
> http://www.debian.org/legal/cryptoinmain has information.

Ross, that's exactly the sort of information I was looking for. Thank you!

All, the eCos maintainers would need to make some sort of formal policy
decision at some point if we are to ever import SSL source code into the
eCos repository. However, this should not prevent or discourage
collaboration on new/updated SSL ports for eCos.

John Dallaway
eCos maintainer