Re: Development environment under Windows without cygwin?

On 2011-03-23, Richard Rauch <rrauch@itrgmbh.de> wrote:

> Do anybody knows a way to work without cygwin natively on Windows?

I don't.

> It seems, that cygwin is causing several problems on different windows
> environments.

Cygwin is fragile.  It's a minor miracle it works at all, and a major
miracle it works as well as it does.  But it's still fragile and not
easy to work with.

> Is there a way to work without cygwin?

Yes: install Linux in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.).

Seriously.  It's easier than working with Windows/Cygwin.

> Is the gnu compiler/linker toolchain available for windows?

I believe so, but that's only a minor part of the problem.  The shell
scripts, TCL programs, and makefiles are the tough part.

> Which versions are comparable to the arm-eabi-gcc V4.3.2?
>
> Is it possible to run the eCos Config Tool without cygwin?

I don't think so.

You're swimming against a pretty strong current.

It _may_ be possible, in theory, to do what you want -- but it's going
to take _lots_ of time and _lots_ of expertise with both Windows and
Unix command-line stuff.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Why is everything made
                                  at               of Lycra Spandex?