Challenge with getting AT91SAM7S256 (Olimex P256) board to use serial ports

Being new to eCos and only having the basics up and running (ie.
"blinking lights" and buttons input) so my knowledge is rather limited
on eCos (coming from the good old fashioned Z80 and 6502 that i started
with in the 80's - over 6800/68JB908 microcontroller).

My challenge is that when I try to use the serial port example I get no
output (neither from the diag port or the serial ports).

Diagnostic test indicate that the cyg_io_lookup exit with error code 1
(EPERM)

My environment were set up from default by performing the following
steps :

ecosconfig new at91sam7sek
ecosconfig tree
ecosconfig check
make

and then compiling and running the "serial.c" test

I suspect that it is a problem from my side and not the board itself -
as running some old serial port code based on at91lib runs fine.

A loopback jumper on my serial connector also verified that the serial
port software on my PC receive the information (just a terminal client)

Any idea's of what is going wrong?

Best regards
JesperKP
--