Re: reuse of redboot source code in an another project

Joerg.Niehaus@nokia.com wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I've a question regarding the use of the redboot source code in case of reusing the parts of the
> code inside another project. With other words I want to copy e.g. the pci and ethernet driver
> source code for the Xscale processor and put into our source code. Background is that we
> need a boot code which supports netboot functionality. To what do I have to pay attention
> regarding the license? What are the core components of the redboot?

The source code in the current CVS repository is now covered by the GPL, as
mentioned on http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/anoncvs.html and announced on
the mailing lists a while back. In this case, it isn't the "full" GPL, but
in fact the GPL with an exception. What it means is that you are free to
copy code into other projects, but you must make the files you copy *and
any derived works* available in source code form under the terms of the
GPL. You can read the GPL in the file COPYING which will be part of your
eCos checkout.

Check the licence in the source files in question and see if they are
covered by the GPL+exception, or the RHEPL. For the latter we have a
section on http://sources.redhat.com/ecos devoted to that.

Note that RedBoot already supports network booting.

Jifl