Re: Future code ownership

On Tue, 2002-12-17 at 20:53, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Andrew Lunn wrote:
> >>3) A commercial entity interested in picking up the eCos "banner", such as
> >>eCosCentric.
> >
> > Does this mean eCosCentric is actually willing to do this?
>
> Only willing if that's what the maintainers want. I'm wearing a very
> different hat in eCosCentric and as a maintainer. I want to do what's best
> for eCos, even if it conflicts with what eCosCentric wants. To be honest,
> I don't think it's very likely we'll choose this option - I just threw it
> in there for completeness, but tell me if I'm wrong!
>
> > Has Mind been approached? What is their opinion on this.
>
> Dunno. Gary might have the best take on that if they don't speak up
> themselves.

I can only talk loosely - I don't speak for Mind, but I know
their feelings.

Mind would prefer that copyright ownership be as non-commercial
as possible.  Since eCosCentric (as well as Red Hat) are competitors
of Mind, having the copyright be in eCosCentric's name could be
considered counter to such a goal.  A central body, such as SPI,
would be ideal.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc