Re: announcements

[ #define MAINTAINERHAT 1 ]

I should also remind folks that this list is publically archived.

Alex Schuilenburg wrote:
Hi again

Gary Thomas wrote:
Alex,

I would very much like for you to make public clarification of your
announcement, as you have done to me privately.

The things I find misleading or missing are:
 * This offer is not coming from the maintainers [at large]
 * Proceeds are to go toward test farm improvements
 * The CDROM contents will be available for [free] download
All that was present in your text was the [seemingly] commercial plug.

If the above statements are indeed true, I think that they should be
part of the public information.  Even the web page mentioned in
the announcement has nothing to say about them, only how to order.

Firstly, IMHO putting out a clarification as per my previous response may appear to indicate a rift between the maintainers at eCosCentric and the rest of the maintainers.

I don't think it does. A simple quick clarification sounds like a good idea.

As far as I know this is not the case. There is certainly competition between Mind and eCosCentric, but that is a seperate issue. How much is your request influenced by your relationship with Mind?

Although I didn't catch it when I read the message, I can see how it can be read that way. A simple short follow-up will do no harm.

If I were to make any further clarification, I would probably just reiterate:

  eCosCentric, in conjunction with all the eCos maintainers employed by
  eCosCentric, are pleased to announce that they will be selling eCos
  2.0 Beta Development CDROMs of the eCos 2.0 Beta release.

We've been discussing something similar in a private list. It could maybe be better clarified as something like:

eCosCentric is accepting pre-orders for a physical CD-ROM release of the upcoming public v2.0 beta. Note that this service is independent of the official 2.0 beta release from the eCos maintainers and when the beta is released it will be freely available for download to all.

*But* I don't think the whole announcement needs to be restated anyway. Just a short simple note that says something like "Just in case of ambiguity, the official eCos 2.0 beta release from the eCos maintainers will be freely available for download to all."

It would also be a good principle in future for commercial announcements to carry some marker like [COMMERCIAL] in the subject line, particularly for the ecos-announce list. Wish I'd thought of that before :-). Oh well.

Jifl