Re: FWD: Re: [gnu.org #25869] eCos as an FSF project?

Andrew Lunn wrote:
Becoming a GNU project means that the project developers agree to
GNU policies.  These are listed at
<http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain_toc.html>.  They are the full
requirements; beyond what is listed there, the developers have full
autonomy over the program's development.

I just skimmed through the policies. There are some things which would
cause difficulties, or at least need a lot of work. They specify how
release should be made and the look and feel of the web site etc. It
seems to me this will be the major problem with FSF, not the dealing
with the legal matters and assignments.

I think we may be able to get some flexibility with the FSF since we are already an established project with established resources. Ditto things like a bug-ecos[at]gnu.org address. The bug* at gnu dot org addresses are famous for the amount of spam and consequent abysmally low signal to ratio. The FSF won't run any spam filtering on the bug lists. We should stay with bugzilla, and I see no reason to have two separate bug reporting mechanisms.

For GIFs, I would imagine the FSF will be happy with a gradual change to PNGs in the docs. The GIFs on the web pages are slightly more annoying because not every browser supports PNGs. The FSF will insist though, and for better or worse it isn't a big enough issue to reject for.

Bart noticed the documentation licence could be a more interesting sticking point, but because of the (C) Red Hat we are not at liberty to change that to the FDL that the FSF would prefer. So I don't think the FSF will have much choice. They may insist on FDL for new documents.

Jifl