Re: Problem with cygwin 1.5.* (newest) and gdb 5.3 (prebuild)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, John Dallaway wrote:

> eCos maintainers
>
> Berenyi Balazs wrote:
>
> > I just started playing with GNU tools and Atmel EB40.
> >
> > As you have writen i have installed cygwin and downloaded
> > prebuild gnutools.
> >
> > I wanted to upload redbood to the EB40, but it did not worked
> > as you documented. I could not connect with GDB to Angel.
> >
> > As i found this is becouse of some changes in Cygwin.
> >
> > See more (and the patch for GDB) on :
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2003-09/msg00290.html
> > There was some conversation about this problem.
> >
> > Please make a note on your (very good) step-by-step tutorial
> > to use an _older_cygwin_.
> >
> > Please note that this is my first touch on GNU tools and my first
> > error report.
>
> The most significant implication is that Windows users using Cygwin
> 1.5.x will be unable to perform an initial installation of RedBoot on
> Atmel AT91EB* boards. The Cygwin net installer still provides Cygwin
> 1.3.22 but there are already Cygwin packages which require Cygwin 1.5.x
> so we cannot reasonably insist that eCos users stick with Cygwin 1.3.x.
>
> I suggest that we add an appropriate arm-elf-gdb patch to the list of
> patches which should be applied when building an eCos toolchain.
>
> John Dallaway
> eCosCentric Limited

Hi!

This patch note should be good. (If you make a patch file just like those
on the http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html.)

I was able to make a GDB with the patch and it is working well.
I can connect with it to both angel and redboot.

I bulit a project from EB40 template with tests in the configtool.
But as cygwin changed i could not run test on the target.
As i see the configtool configures GDB to connect to the target on COM1.
(Which as we know not a serial port on cygwin 1.5.*.)

Now if i run GDB and connect to the target with the

 target remote /dev/com1

command.Everything works well.I can load for example the "bin_sem0" test
elf file and i can run it with success.

Maybe there is more change (com?->/dev/com?) to do in the work but as a
starter i can see just this one.

Please rebuild the pre build gdb with the patch! As a starter the pre
build tools were my only chance to start playing with GNU/eCos!
For a starter the tool build process is a nightmare.
I think i will be unable to make an insight for myself.:(

I have other experiencese but i dont know if i would tell you them, or
write them to the list.

Thank you for reading my email
beba