eCos license questions

Dear eCos Maintainers,

We're researching the possibility of using eCos in one of
our products, but we have some questions regarding the
license.

Th eCos License Overview says that "the license does not
require users to release the source code of any
applications that are developed with eCos."  What exactly
defines an eCos application?  Does it include drivers?
 Does it include any code statically linked into eCos?

The overview then goes on to say "if anybody makes changes
to code covered by the eCos license, or writes new files
derived in any way from the eCos code," then the source
code should be made public.  What does it mean to derive
code from eCos?  Does deriving code include using eCos
library functions and headers?

In the overview's Q&A section, it says "you would not need
to make available... the code of a wholly separate
application."  What does "wholly separate" mean?  Does it
remain wholly separate if the application is statically
linked into the eCos kernel?  Does it remain separate if it
calls eCos library functions?

Sorry if my questions are somewhat nit-picky.  Since we
make security products, our products must be certified by
various government agencies that require that we clearly
define our legal obligations.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Linda Wang
Software Engineer