Re: Deprecating eCos 2.0

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 04:03:33PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> >Can we make the automated download tool (ecos-install.tcl) use
> >a CVS snapshot instead of the old 2.0?  It would solve so many
> >"I'm using 2.0 ..." issues if this was the default.
> >
> >Note: I don't care if it still downloads the old tools (which
> >are also labeled 2.0) as for the most part, they don't get
> >in the way.
>
> It's certainly possible. Not a great message in one sense, but it would do
> the job for now. Despite not much in the way of QA, it's arguably less
> relevant to commend 2.0.
>
> But if we did, it would still want a version number distinct from true CVS,
> i.e. instead of "current" for packages. Perhaps something like 2.1a-cvs or
> 2.1a-interim? We'd also need a doc rebuild to make sense. Similarly what
> about the prebuilt configtool and ecosconfig? The only prebuilt versions
> that work with cygwin are on ecoscentric's site.
>
> So even a quicky respin isn't quite trivial but it wouldn't take long. Not
> something to announce with a fanfare though.

We always seem to run into these problems a while after a release. We
should think forward for the next release. Do we really want to make a
release with a different version number in the tree? Wouldn't it be
better to just make a snapshot of CVS, with the CVS directories, so
that people can do a cvs up. Also change the documentation to
encourage people to do this as the last part of the installation
process.

        Andrew