Re: Copyright Assignment

Hi Uwe

cetoni GmbH - Uwe Kindler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> shortly I received a letter from eCosCentric concerning the transfer
> of my copyright assignment to FSF.
>
> In this letter is written that the copyright assignment concerns:
>
> eCos port to Evaluation design O/S Kit for H8S/2674.
>
> Does this mean that all my other work (platform ports, CAN I/O
> framework, several CAN drivers) is not covered by this copyright
> aasignment? Does this further mean that I need a new copyright
> assigment for every new piece of code I contribute or does one
> copyright assigment covers all future contributions?
I am sorry the letter was not clear.  The reference to the "eCos port to
Evaluation design O/S Kit for H8S/2674" is merely a reference to your
copyright assignment  agreement with eCosCentric.  This copyright
assignement agreement covered the above-mentioned work as well as all
future contributions, so all your other work and all future assignments
are already covered.  There is no requirement for you to enter into a
new agreement with the FSF to continue making contributions to eCos.
eCosCentric's own transfer of  copyright assignment to the FSF
transfered all your existing eCos contributions to the FSF, and the
transfer of your copyright assignment agreement with eCosCentric to the
FSF means that all your future contributions will now be assigned to the
FSF.

In other words, the copyright assignment agreement you had with
eCosCentric is now between you and the FSF.

> If the other stuff is not covered by this copyright assignment then I
> would need to assign further copyright assignments concerning the CAN
> and the other stuff.
As above, everything is already covered by the copyright assignment, as
well as future contributions. You do not need a new assignment agreement
with the FSF to cover future contributions and the FSF own the copyright
of all your existing contributions.

This also applies to anyone else who had an assignment agreement with
eCosCentric who received a similar letter.

-- Alex

Managing Director/CEO                                eCosCentric Limited
Tel:  +44 1223 245571                     Barnwell House, Barnwell Drive
Fax:  +44 1223 248712                             Cambridge, CB5 8UU, UK
www.ecoscentric.com             Reg in England and Wales, Reg No 4422071