Re: update ARM platform HALs

Hi Jifl

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> John Dallaway wrote:
>
>> The eCosCentric arm-eabi pre-built toolchains do not include StrongARM
>> multi-libs. AFAIK, users who want to build eCos for these targets will
>> therefore need to either build their own arm-eabi-gcc or revert to
>> CYGBLD_GLOBAL_COMMAND_PREFIX == "arm-elf" and use the older arm-elf-gcc
>> 3.2.1. Can you please let me know what the intention is here so I can
>> mention this in the eCos 3.0 release notes?
>
> This was discussed before IRL, and I believe until I hear to the
> contrary that strongarm should probably still work. It just won't be
> perfectly optimal as it will fall back to the arm7tdmi multilib (the
> default); but now actually looking at GCC sources, I think it may have
> only a virtually perceptible effect even then.

IIRC, Bart observed a SIGTRAP in libgcc (udivsi3?) when running up eCos
built with arm-eabi-gcc 4.3.2 on the ipaq target. So perhaps users would
be better off sticking with arm-elf-gcc 3.2.1 for StrongARM? I'm not
proposing that we spend any further time investigating the problem, just
seeking clarification as to what we should recommend to users.

John Dallaway