>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       Seg fault before run
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Jan 22 06:38:01 PST 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Marvin E Walden
>Release:        unknown-1.0

I have run gdb successfully on many files on my machine. However, I recently tried it on an executable which is part of the BRL-CAD distribution, called mged. mged runs OK by itself, that is, outside of gdb. I'm not really debugging it, but want to use gdb to track through it and see how some parts run. I built the entire BRL CAD system "as issued", without any modifications of my own.

So, I have GNU gdb 4.18, configured for 1386-redhat-linux, running on a 486DX with 64MB RAM, > 4GB hard disk space, 64MB swap space.

When I do gdb ./mged /brlcad/db/woodsman.g (which is one way to run mged), I get a segmentation fault immediately, apparently just on loading mged- that is, I haven't yet told gdb to "run". Furthermore, somehow I got a warning that the core file dumped is older than the executable.

What further info do you need to help me with this problem? I could tar up and send you the executable, if you could promise to destroy it after investigation- I don't have a license to re- distribute BRL CAD.

Marvin E Walden