gdb/588: readline/Makefile gets absolute path when configured relative

>Number:         588
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       readline/Makefile gets absolute path when configured relative
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Jun 26 19:08:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     ac131313@redhat.com
>Release:        unknown-1.0
>Environment:

>From DJE:

When you configure with a relative srcdir, as in

mkdir obj
cd obj
../src/configure blah

this is supposed to avoid absolute pathnames appearing in Makefiles.
This makes it easy to move the tree around.
[at least things used to work that way, dunno if this is a documented rule]

readline/configure.in has this:

case "$host_os" in
msdosdjgpp*)	BUILD_DIR=`pwd.exe` ;;	# to prevent //d/path/file
*)		BUILD_DIR=`pwd` ;;
esac

AC_SUBST(BUILD_DIR)

which then causes dependencies on config.h in Makefile to be
based on an absolute path.  tsk tsk.

Studying Makefile.in I don't understand why you would want BUILD_DIR
to ever be something other than ".".
There's no comment explaining the raison d'etre of BUILD_DIR.

What's up?

>How-To-Repeat:
Suspect problem is in upstream readline sources.