gdb/816: problem reading core files on alpha-osf

>Number:         816
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       problem reading core files on alpha-osf
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed Nov 06 22:58:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Joel Brobecker
>Release:        5.3
When building GDB using GCC 3.0.1 on alpha-osf, GDB
works fine except when trying to load the information
from a core file.

GDB generates some bizarre warnings, one of them related
to the endianness of the target.

The fix that we used was to compile GDB with __digital__
defined. What happens is that without this macro, the
compiler picks-up the wrong definitions for the layout
of the structures composing the core file. GDB is then
unable to read the core file data properly.

I unfortunately do not have access to the HP/UX C compiler.
So I can't verify that this macro is defined by default.

The proper fix to this problem is probably to enhance the
configure scripts to add -D__digital__ to the CFLAGS when
compiling with GCC. Unless more recent versions of GCC
already do it by default.