Re: java/1039: regression: cannot set breakpoint on jmisc.main(java.lang.String[])

The following reply was made to PR java/1039; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Carlton <carlton at math dot stanford dot edu>
To: GNATS Filer <gdb-gnats at sources dot redhat dot com>
Cc: Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec at shout dot net>
Subject: Re: java/1039: regression: cannot set breakpoint on jmisc.main(java.lang.String[])
Date: 28 Feb 2003 14:31:42 -0800

 (I hope I got that subject right for GNATS to pick up this reply.)

 At Michael's prompting (since I've been messing with symtabs
 recently), I've been looking into this one.  I confess, I haven't been
 running gdb.java/jmisc*.exp for a little while, because the version of
 binutils that I have installed doesn't always get along well with the
 version of gcj that I have installed.

 But I did poke into it a bit with an older binutils.  The thing is,
 though, this test has never worked for me: checking through my logs
 since August of last year, GDB has never been able to set a breakpoint
 at jmisc.main(java.lang.String[]).  So it's hard for me to diagnose it
 too well.

 I'm using gcj 2.95.3.  Michael doesn't test this with that version of
 gcj, because of the binutils problem.  So that's probably the reason
 for our difference in the test results.  Unfortunately, for various
 reasons (disk space, largely), I'm not too likely to install a newer
 version of gcj on this machine any time soon, though I might soon have
 a newer gcj on a different machine.

 Given the time period where Michael's seeing breakage, one possibility
 is that it's an unexpected interaction with the demangling partial
 symbols patch.  That's just a wild stab, though: there are certainly
 other possibilities.  But it does fit in well with something I just
 noticed: I happened to notice yesterday that lookup_partial_symbol has
 the bug that it doesn't give you any way of specifying a linkage name
 to match on.  (Sigh.)  So maybe this test is tickling that bug; maybe
 this lookup more or less accidentally worked right before partial
 symbols were demangled, but now it fails.  I'll prepare a patch and
 e-mail it to Michael.

 In the mean time, there is a workaround for this specific issue, in
 that 'break jmisc.main' works.  It's only when you specify the type of
 the argument that you run into problems.