Re: symtab/373: GDB keeps coff file locked or open.

The following reply was made to PR symtab/373; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jerome Guitton <guitton@act-europe.fr>
To: cagney@redhat.com, gdb-prs@sources.redhat.com,
	guitton@sources.redhat.com, hans@ellips.nl,
	nobody@sources.redhat.com, gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: symtab/373: GDB keeps coff file locked or open.
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:22:31 +0200

 cagney@redhat.com (cagney@redhat.com):

 > Synopsis: GDB keeps coff file locked or open.

 Re-thinking about it, I think my implementation was somewhat
 incomplete. When GDB opens the file with bfd, the file handle is
 released. But every time a bfd routine is called, the file is re-open
 and the handle never released.  On the other hand, forcing bfd to
 release the handle after every read operation is a little extreme: I
 would expect it to have a severe impact on performance.

 Of course, it is still possible to use the kill command to release the
 handles explicitely. But we may want to have other points where they
 will be released: say, when the user gets the prompt or when the
 inferior dies. Opinions?

 May be worth having the reread test work on win32 hosts, too.

 --
 Jerome