Re: gdb/1884: arm-none-elf target sim does not run ARM executables

The following reply was made to PR gdb/1884; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Reiser <jreiser@BitWagon.com>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/1884: arm-none-elf target sim does not run ARM executables
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 10:47:58 -0800

 Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
 > On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:52:35AM -0000, jreiser@BitWagon.com wrote:
 >
 >>(gdb) target sim
 >>Connected to the simulator.
 >>(gdb) load my-arm-executable
 >>Start address 0x8080
 >>Transfer rate: 43168 bits in <1 sec.
 >>(gdb) run
 >>Starting program:
 >>warning: No executable file specified.
 >>Segmentation fault
 >

 > Try:
 >
 > file my-arm-executable
 > target sim
 > load
 > run
 >
 > Obviously the segfault is a bug, and the documentation of `load' in the
 > manual is a bit out of date.

 Thank you, that works.  It also works to specify the file at invocation:
     $ arm-none-elf-gdb my-arm-executable
     (gdb) target sim
     (gdb) load
     (gdb) run

 For documention, I suggest mentioning also that [apparently]
     ./configure --target=arm-none-elf
 must be used in order for "target sim" to work.  The string "-none-elf"
 appears nowhere in gdb.info or "./configure --help", and it took
 a couple hours of frustrating trial-and-error (with the above SIGSEGVs)
 to figure out that --target=arm-foo-linux would not work for simulation.
 Only a web search eventually produced the magic --target=arm-none-elf.

 --
 John Reiser, jreiser@BitWagon.com