Re: c++/2039: gdb assumes 4 byte separation between 64 bit "long long" and "unsigned long long" stack allocated (not pointers) data member types within a C++ class

The following reply was made to PR c++/2039; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: mstraub@gmail.com
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: c++/2039: gdb assumes 4 byte separation between 64 bit "long long" and "unsigned long long" stack allocated (not pointers) data member types within a C++ class
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:05:44 -0500

 On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 03:54:20PM -0000, mstraub@gmail.com wrote:
 > >Release:        GDB 6.2.1 (Bundled with SuSE 9.1)

 You may want to try a more current release of GDB (e.g. a 6.4 release
 candidate).  However...

 > Create a simple C++ class with two public "long long" data members.
 > Create a property set method, setting both values to a unique value
 > that occupies 64 bits.  Use stdout print statements to print out the
 > values of those variables immediately after setting them along with
 > the address of those variables.  Use the gdb print or display command
 > to print the values after the stdout print statements.  Doing this I
 > consistently see the correct values printed to stdout, but incorrect
 > values displayed in the debugger... Furthermore printing the address
 > of those varaibles I see that the addresses are only 4 bytes apart...
 > incorrect.

 > I believe gdb is incorrectly guessing the offsets of data members in
 > or around 64 bit integers.

 GDB does not "guess" any offsets.  They are always recorded in the
 debug information, by the compiler.  At least one version of GCC had a
 bug that could produce this result.

 Please attach a source file and compiled binary that shows this problem.

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz
 CodeSourcery, LLC