Re: gdb/2153: bad usabillity when quiting gdb + easy fix

The following reply was made to PR gdb/2153; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Stefan Kost <ensonic@hora-obscura.de>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/2153: bad usabillity when quiting gdb + easy fix
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:33:10 +0300

 Hi Daniel,

 Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
 > On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:28:01AM -0000, ensonic@hora-obscura.de wrote:
 >
 >> Shouldn't that be:
 >> (gdb) q
 >> The program is running.  Kill before quitting? (y or n) y
 >>
 >> The thing is, when I say 'quit' I definitely want to leave.
 >>

 > You do.  Other people don't.  This is like the save query in an
 > editor; it may remind you that you were in the middle of something.
 >
 > I disasgree that the meaning of the prompt needs to change.

 Thanks for the prompt reply. But honestly I don't this that the
 text-editor metaphor fits here. In a gdb session, I do my debugging,
 gather my data and say 'quit'. I don't really see why someone says quit
 in the middle of a debuggin session, if that one in fact does not want
 to quit. Anyway I don't want to stress this too much, it was worth
 trying :)
 >> First flaw is that the currnet message should say 'Quit anyway?" as the command given was 'quit' and not 'exit'.
 >>

 > That's reasonable.

 Ciao
   Stefan