Re: threads/2149: thread_db_get_info: cannot get thread info: genericerror on fork()/execvp()

The following reply was made to PR threads/2149; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alex Bligh <alex@alex.org.uk>
To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
Cc: "Matthew M. DeLoera" <mdeloera@exacq.com>,
	gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: threads/2149: thread_db_get_info: cannot get thread info: generic
 error on fork()/execvp()
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:10:18 +0100

 Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
 > This should now be fixed in the CVS repository, at least as long as you
 > aren't trying to follow the child of the fork.  Could you give it a
 > try?

 Apologies for the late response. I can confirm that this is
 *NOT* fixed. However, the symptom has changed. Using
 GNU gdb 6.5.50.20060813-cvs, the error I get is
 "Couldn't get registers: No such process." - this is
 with follow-fork-mode set to parent.

 With the original version of gdb (GNU gdb 6.4-debian, from
 Ubuntu Dapper), I get:
 thread_db_get_info: cannot get thread info: generic error
 (as originally reported).

 So you are somewhere near the error, but not quite there.

 I've also confirmed the original bug on both i386 and x86_64 Linux.

 I can replicate this 100% of the time (on my own, large, app,
 naturally, as having a simple sample to do it would make things
 much too easy). Get any version of Xara Xtreme from
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/
 and run it under gdb. Whenever it executes an external program,
 it hangs under gdb. The easiest case is to install imagemagick,
 draw anything, then try an export a PSD file. If you've
 installed from a package, loading any file will do it as
 the extensible filter system will try executing one of the
 filters.

 Alex