Re: remote/2301: Transmission gdb gdbserver remotestub corrupted

The following reply was made to PR remote/2301; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>
To: Nils.Hagge@siemens.com
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com, Manfred.Neugebauer@siemens.com
Subject: Re: remote/2301: Transmission gdb gdbserver remotestub corrupted
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:11:20 -0400

 On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 03:29:48PM -0000, Nils.Hagge@siemens.com wrote:
 > by printing into "buf". The packet is sent via putpkt. And the response is waited for using getpkt using rs->buf. But in fact rs->buf and buf point to the same piece of memory!! In the case that transmission and reception of tcp packets is performed asynchronously, this would explain the problem!
 >
 > Could someone please check, if I am right!

 GDB does not use asynchronous TCP.  If the packet is not fully sent,
 or at least read from program memory, by the time that getpkt returns,
 then the entire file is going to fail; and as far as I know, no
 operating system does this.  Do you have any reference for Windows
 confirming that it will do what you describe?

 --
 Daniel Jacobowitz
 CodeSourcery