Re: New GDB snapshot available

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 10:18:31AM +0100, Eric Paire wrote:
> Finally, what I deeply deplore is that it is not fair to give technical
> reasons of not inserting linux-threads support in the upcoming gdb-4.18,
> because I offered my time to the gdb team last summer to help them
> introducing linux-threads in the reference tree, but never received any
> answer except that inserting support for hpux-threads was the main
> priority. Now, it is too late since I am very busy on other projects.
> The only thing that I will do in the near future is to provide Linus
> Torvalds with kernel patches of the small bugs I have discovered with
> this development.

The result is simply that the Linux distributions will effectively fork their
tree and use a gdb with your patches added. This already happened with RedHat -
they ship a gdb 4.17 rpm with your debugging patch added in 5.2. Threads
debugging is a critical enough thing that the other dists will probably
follow. This is unfortunate, but will happen.

-Andi

--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.