Inconsistent gdb testsuite results under Cygwin

I get inconsistent results from the gdb testsuite under Cygwin. Is
this to be expected, or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Also, the reread.exp test seems to leave a detached process running in
the background and chewing 100% CPU. I disabled this test by setting
RUNTESTFLAGS to "--ignore reread.exp" in the testsuite/Makefile.

For instance, four different runs of "make check":

$ grep "unexpected fail" gdb_CVS.sum*
gdb_CVS.sum1:# of unexpected failures   175
gdb_CVS.sum2:# of unexpected failures   177
gdb_CVS.sum3:# of unexpected failures   177
gdb_CVS.sum4:# of unexpected failures   204

$ grep "unexpected succ" gdb_CVS.sum*
gdb_CVS.sum1:# of unexpected successes  88
gdb_CVS.sum2:# of unexpected successes  87
gdb_CVS.sum3:# of unexpected successes  64
gdb_CVS.sum4:# of unexpected successes  62

Some of the tests that produce variable results are:

gdb.base/attach.exp
gdb.base/maint.exp
gdb.base/pointers.exp
gdb.base/signals.exp
gdb.base/volatile.exp
gdb.trace/deltrace.exp

Does anyone currently test gdb under Cygwin? I'm mainly wondering
whether there is some simple solution to the inconsistencies, or
whether the tests are known to be unreliable on this platform.

--
Raoul Gough
see http://home.clara.net/raoulgough/ for my work availability