[thomas@gnu.ai.mit.edu: machine status]

I get the feeling that this message never got out to gnu-prog, so I'm sending
it again.  gnu@prep shouldn't need to bother resending it; I've bypassed
the moderation.
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 20:59:57 -0400
From: thomas@gnu.ai.mit.edu (Thomas Bushnell, n/BSG)
To: gnu-prog@gnu.org, system-hackers-fsf@gnu.org, handa@gnu.org
CC: rms@gnu.org
Subject: machine status

The big disk that was lost is now fully restored.  The backup I used
was made the morning of the 2nd; so only work done from then until I
turned the machines off on the 2nd would be lost.

I will be out of town this weekend; a volunteer has agreed to help
turn on accounts.  So if you send an encrypted password field to
devnull@gnu.org, then he can take care of it.  Please make sure that
this is not a password you've typed to or from the GNU machines in the
past; such passwords have almost surely been sniffed.

The alpha.gnu.org FTP site is working fine, so you should let
alpha-testers (and such) know of its new name.

The password file is not yet being automatically distributed, so the
only machine you can log on to right now is melange.gnu.org; when the
automated distribution stuff is finished then you will be able to log
on to mescaline and delasyd as well.

Let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that they should *NOT*
use .forward files on the GNU machines; instead edit
/com/mailer/aliases and add an entry for yourself in the appropriate
section.

Thomas