Re: Conditionals in GDB manual

   From: jtc@redbacknetworks.com (J.T. Conklin)
   Date: 05 Feb 1999 12:15:50 -0800

   Ideally, there would be One True GDB Manual that contained all
   information for all hosts and targets, organized in such a way so
   environment specific information could be identified and located
   easily by readers.  Appendicies for both host and target specific
   information might be a good way to accomplish this.

Yes.  The effect of the conditionals is to allow people to make 2^40
different One of Many GDB Manuals, each with no indication to the
reader that they are different from the complete manual.

   The many conditionals that select parts of the "Remote Debugging"
   chapter seem to go along with this idea, although the individual
   sections don't share the same outline of sub-sections and moving
   them to an appendix might be a bit more of an overhaul than is
   envisioned.

There's no reason not to reorganize the manual in whatever way makes
it the most accessible to readers.  I note that most of GCC's target
specific info sits in the chapter on command-line options, and
everybody seems to be OK with that.  For GDB, I'm leaning towards a
regular chapter or two, mostly because the info for some targets is
fairly extensive and critical to using them, and appendices are better
for small amounts of optional info.  But I haven't made a decision yet.

							Stan