GDB takes a LONG time to load symbols on SGI IRIX6.4

Greetings,

	I've just downloaded and tried out gdb 4.18 on an SGI running Irix6.4.
It takes a VERY long time for gdb to read the symbol table of a program
that I debug on a regular basis.  (It's been running for 8 minutes now,
used up my entire 512M of ram and still has not loaded.)  gdb 4.17 did
not have this problem.  It seems like 4.17 had some sort of lazy symbol
way to get 4.18 to act like 4.17?

FYI:
GNU gdb 4.18
This GDB was configured as "mips-sgi-irix6.4"

Thanks,
	Gabe

--
 * J. Gabriel Foster  "We have advanced to new and surprising
 * Silicon Grail       levels of bafflement" - Lois McMaster Bujold