embedded post mortem dumps

Has anyone modified GDB to support post mortem analysis (core dumps)
on embedded targets?

I can't imagine that target-side support would be too difficult.  The
implementation I'm imagining would have the exception handler save
state and then jump to a dump routine that would initialize itself
(assuming nothing about hardware state, etc.) and operate in a pre-
defined/reserved region of memory.  It would then dump the register
and memory contents over the network via tftp or to a flash device.

However, on the GDB side, core file support seems to be entertwined
with "native" (host == target) debugging environments.

Thoughts anyone?

	--jtc

--
J.T. Conklin