Re: GDB-Protocol: Version/Protocol packet

   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
   Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:29:41 +1000

   As a starting point, I'd like to put forward:

	   <- qVersion
	   -> { <prefix><version> }

Hmmm.  The details seem overly complicated, which is bad for a
target-side agent that ought to be smaller than it is now.  The
protocol already has a provision for unrecognized packets, namely that
the stub should return an empty response.  And what would GDB do with
a version number?  If it does nothing, then why bother, and if it does
something, then it's not optional, every target stub has to do the
right thing.

(Not to dump on the idea too much - I thought about doing this once
before, and decided against.)

								Stan