Next release of GDB

I'd like us to start planning for the next release of GDB.  This might
seem a bit soon after 4.18, but I think a year's interval is too long,
what with all the changes that are going on, and historically the
release tends to take a couple months longer than originally
anticipated anyway.  The following plan is just my idea, feel free to
comment on big and little issues...

Here are the things that I think must be in the next release:

* Complete GNU/Linux support, all distros/versions
* Complete *BSD support
* Support for current (2.95.x) GCC/G++

In addition, there should be no submitted patch backlog - all patches
must be accepted and incorporated, or else rejected.

Here are some additional things that I would like to see, but that
ought not to hold up the release if they can't be gotten in:

* first version of libgdb, w/Guile scripting
* GNU/Linux thread_db library support
* asynchronous execution for GNU/Linux
* fork following for GNU/Linux
* HP WDB 1.1 bits
* Apple MacOS X support bits
* Current VxWorks (Tornado) support bits
* Current LynxOS support bits
* m68k BDM patches
* Ada language support

There are probably many other important things that I'm forgetting,
please speak up and remind me about them!

Since the next release of GDB will have changed more since the last
release than any since 1991, I think it should be called 5.0.  This
will also give us a new baseline for a new generation of improvements,
which is why I'm especially keen to get old divergences reduced before
we set off on the next round of changes.

Timewise, we should try to be done with major patch incorporation by
the end of November, do testing in December, and have something on
ftp sites by 12/31, just in time to help solve Y2K bugs...

"GDB 5.0: The Debugger for the Next Millenium"

								Stan