Re: Lets talk to each other...

> All,
>
> Recently, several changes were committed to the tree which has
> broken existing target support. All of the changes to the
> i386-tdep.c file for floating point stuff for Linux has broken
> all other i386 targets.  Changing existing, working code that
> more than one target depends on should be done a bit more
> cautiosly (IMHO). Linux is not the only OS that runs on a
> 386, and this code just broke compiles for both UnixWare
> and OpenServer, two targets that previously worked. If changes
> are going to affect more than one target, either the person
> making the change should be prepared to go and change the
> target dependant stuff or at least make folks aware of the
> incompatibile changes.

I agree. When I made changes to x86 FPU for gdb 4.17, I compiled
the modified gdb for both Solaris/x86 and Linux/x86. That is
one reason there were some "strange" codes in my patch. I could
have used a i386lnx-tdep.c. However, I felt those changes might
be useful for other OSes. The only thing needed is to get the FPU
registers from the OS. Linux supports it and I had an impression
that AIX/x86 also supports it.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@gnu.org)