Re: Gdb, threads, DDD and remote debugging.

Rok Papez wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Could someon please RTFM me to some documentation that explains how to set-up
> gdb for remote debugging, either thru ethernet or serial cable. If used for

An online version of the GDB manual is located here:
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_toc.html

Remote debugging:
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_14.html

Using GDB server.  I'm assuming you want to debug from a Linux host to a Linux
target.
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb_14.html#SEC116

You will need gdbserver.  If you don't have a gdbserver you will need to build
one.  I would suggest doing an anonymously cvs check out of the latest
sources.  This will of course get you the latest gdb as well.  gdbserver has
been repaired recently for linux.  The gdbserver in last stable version of gdb
will not build under linux.

configure
make
make install

But unfortunately gdbserver is not made and installed automatically.  You will
need to go the to the gdb/gdbserver/ directory from where you configured and
make; make install.

If you need help building from source let me know and I will give more
detailed info.

> remote debugging, are there any catches with multiple threads?

There is not much if any thread support, I believe.  This may change in the
future but no promises.

> Does DDD support remote debugging?

I am don't know whether DDD has support to use GDB remote debugging I have not
tried it.  If you like to use a GUI with GDB, may I suggest that you try
Insight.  It is very closely linked with GDB and does support remote
debugging.
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/insight/

> Platform: x86, Linux, RH 6.0 with gdb-4.17.0.14-1
>
> --
> best regards,
> Rok Papez.

Best Regards,