Re: Status of Linuxthreads support in gdb 4.18?

Hi Michael Snyder, Kevin Buettner and Eric Bachalo.

First, I'd like to thank you all for helping me :-).

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Michael Snyder wrote:
> > > Can anyone say what is the current status of support for
> > > Threads on Linux in gdb 4.18?
>
> Readers of this newsgroup may be happy to hear that
> this merge has been done, and the Linux thread support
> patch that has been floating around the net for some time
> will be a part of gdb 4.19 whenever that comes out.

I downloaded the 1999/11/16 snapshot of insight but it didn't compile becouse
of the missing file. As I need LinuxThreads and remote debugging support
(gdbserver), could someone please give me a hint what snapshot should I
donwload? If insight doesn't work.. what version of plain gdb would work?

Btw.: Are there any differences between insight and gdb snapshots in
functionality? I was under impression gdb and insight are almost identical
except for the GUI part.

---------

On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Eric Bachalo wrote:

> There is not much if any thread support, I believe.  This may change in the
> future but no promises.

Is the patch Michael Snyder is talking about already aplied to the CVS (is it
in the snapshot I downloaded?) ? If not do you by any chance know where to get
it ? Or at least where to get pre-compiled gdb and/or insight and gdbserver for
intel linux ?

> I am don't know whether DDD has support to use GDB remote debugging I have not
> tried it.  If you like to use a GUI with GDB, may I suggest that you try
> Insight.  It is very closely linked with GDB and does support remote
> debugging.

I did try the insight 1999/11/16 version but it failed to compile with:

cd gdb
./configure --prefix=/opt/insight
make
and then make complains:
--
make: *** No rule to make target `../bfd/bfd.h', needed by `blockframe.o'.
Stop.

gdbserver did compile, but I'm unsure if it works with gdb-4.17.0.14-1 (the
supposedly LinuxThreads enabled gdb version I ran into).

--
best regards,
Rok Papez.