Re: Rombug?

Elena Zannoni wrote:

> While cleaning up the syntax for add-symbol-file, I saw that that
> command has a special syntax just for the rombug case.  For rombug, one
> doesn't need to specify the address of the .text section to load the
> file at. For all the other cases, such address must instead be specified as
> argument to the command.  Needless to say, this little variation
> complicates things quite a bit.
>
> When is rombug used and what exactly is it? There is a brief mention of
> it in the gdb manual, but not enough for me to understand much.
> Is it still in use?

Rombug is the boot monitor for Microware's OS-9 / OS-9000 (yes, these are
the guys that are suing Apple over having a version 9 of MacOS, believe
it or not), so its role is similar to that of CygMon in eCos.
remote-os9k.c is just another cheesy monitor interface, and probably
hasn't been used in a long time, so I don't anybody will notice if it
crumbles a little more.  From surfing around Microware's web site
(www.microware.com), it looks like they recommend their own proprietary
debug protocol anyway.

I'd recommend leaving out the special rombug hack, but putting extra
notes in the sources and ChangeLog, so that if someone goes looking for
it in the future, they won't wonder if they were hallucinating when they
remembered some sort of rombug support in add-symbol-file.

Stan